Capture Every Note Anytime and Anywhere with the Zoom H4n Recorder!
A true multitrack studio-to-go, the Zoom H4n Handy Recorder gives you exactly the tools you need to record whatever (and wherever) you want. Choose the built-in XY stereo condenser microphone pair, plug in direct, or use both to capture everything from gigs to music ideas to speeches!
What Makes the H4n Your One-stop Recording Solution?
- Top-notch XY stereo microphones
- Flexible I/O for any situation
- Pristine sound quality
- Compact and easy to use
- Loaded with tons of extras
Top-notch XY Stereo Microphones
Capture amazing stereo sound without extra add-ons
The H4n's custom-designed, onboard stereo condenser microphones allow you to record in a true XY pattern. The mics can be rotated to either a 90-degree or 120-degree stereo angle for use in any situation. Whether you're recording a speaker, an acoustic duo, a rock band, or an entire orchestra, the H4n's XY mics are ready to go. These great-sounding mics capture the performance in stunning detail and with a gorgeous stereo image. And if that isn't enough, Zoom loaded the H4n with multiple inputs for adding additional mics when you need them.
Flexible I/O for Any Situation
Multiple inputs for all your recording needs
Most handheld recorders today feature a built-in stereo pair of condenser microphones, but few provide the additional inputs or flexible I/O configuration you get with the Zoom H4n Handy Recorder. XLR combo jacks let you plug in a huge selection of gear, including guitars. But more importantly, the H4n lets you choose exactly the inputs you want, so you can mix and match external microphones, instruments, and line-level gear with the built-in microphones. You can even use both external inputs and both onboard mics at once! There's even an advanced multitrack recording mode, which lets you record studio-style overdubs — perfect for laying down new songs, without dragging the band into your studio.
Zoom H4n I/O at a Glance:
- XLR combo jack inputs let you plug in XLR microphone cables
- 1/4" line-level and instrument-level (hi-Z) sources
- USB 2.0 port for high-speed file transfer and audio interface capability
Zoom H4n Mics at a Glance:
- Built-in XY stereo microphones
- Record at either 90-degree or 120-degree stereo spreads
- Combine both the external inputs and built-in microphones for true 4-track recording
- Onboard phantom power lets you use any microphone
- Onboard mid-side matrix decoder for additional miking possibilities
- Low-cut filter reduces handling and wind noise
Pristine Audio Quality
Studio-grade audio in a compact and convenient package
Flexible I/O is only one thing that's made the H4n Handy Recorder so popular. What's really impressive is its phenomenal sound quality with sampling up to 24-bit/96kHz. Maybe it's the microphones, or maybe it's the H4n's special digitally controlled preamplifier, but whatever the reason, Sweetwater customers simply rave about how good the H4n sounds. In fact, we've found that the quality and convenience of the H4n have made it a real mainstay in the independent film world. So, not only does the Zoom H4n put studio-style recording in the palm of your hand, but it also gives you production-quality audio you can depend on.
Zoom H4n Audio Performance at a Glance:
- Amazing sound quality lets you record in the field with studio-grade results
- Digitally controlled, high-quality mic preamps give a clear sound with excellent dynamic range
- 24-bit/96kHz Linear PCM recording for high-quality recording
Compact and Easy to Use
User-friendly interface and layout make recording simple
From the large LCD screen to the dedicated transport buttons to the large selection of inputs, the Zoom H4n is a powerhouse recorder. Not only can it stand alone as a mic or direct recorder, but it can also be used as a USB interface with your favorite DAW. The H4n has four different recording modes that make capturing audio a breeze.
Zoom H4n Recording Modes at a Glance:
- Stereo mode — uses the built-in stereo mics, variable between 90- or 120-degree patterns, so you can get the right pickup for what you're recording.
- 4CH mode — uses the onboard mics and the two external inputs. This is the perfect way to get a stereo drum recording, a direct bass recording, and a miked guitar amp recording for your full band sound.
- MTR mode — records multiple tracks in multiple passes. You can overdub one or two tracks at a time.
- Stamina mode — records up to 11 hours in 16-bit/44.1kHz PCM format, using just batteries.